THE DREAM

KAFE KISKEYA creates a comfortable space for folks from various parts of the city to meet in & share time together. ~ KISKEYA is the Taino Indian word for Mother of the Earth & is what the Island of Hispaniola, including Haiti & Dominican Republic, was called before Columbus arrived over 500 years ago, a time when all of the inhabitants lived in harmony. ~ THE DREAM is for all of humanity to once again live together peacefully on this Earth. By spending time together, we can make that dream a reality!

05 November 2007

Update from Connie in LaHoya, Dominican Republic today Nov 5th

Dear friends,
So many of you have written asking how things are going and assuring us of your prayers which we really appreciate.
We had a good day of sunshine yesterday so had hopes of going to begin the cleanup in Bombita but it rained all night. The water in La Hoya is still the same. There is no where for the water to go as the main road acts as a dike holding the water on our side of the street.
Contact was made for the first time to other sugar cane villages further out. It is amazing to understand how those villages could have been 3 1/2 feet under water as well since the land is flat and goes as far as you can see. I just can't understand the amount of water and have become to understand a bit how the people in Noah's time must have felt as they watched the water rise and rise and rise.
Food is the immediate need here. Rice, beans, oil, etc. Our hardest struggle right now is trying to cope with being disaster relief workers while at the same time being victims. I am quite sick of the three outfits I have! I went to church last night truly looking like a refugee! I feel confident that COPA will recover and replace damaged items, but the burdens of the people weigh heavily on my heart.
I know that much help will come from many countries, but I know that the weak will receive little. It will be our goal to watch for those that are getting lost in the rush as they cannot fight for themselves.
I am not sending more pictures because houses under water all look the same! Please keep us in your prayers. My team here consists of 10 people. Four of them are girls 18 years old and this is tough for anyone to deal with, but ones so young, yet they are doing so well and are wonderful helping the children in the centers to cope.
Blessings to you,
Connie

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Greetings Sarah-- Thanks for keeping us updated on the situation on your beloved Hispanolia. It's so important for the www-sphere to hear that people of good heart are also working hard to restore the lost homes and fractured lives. I subscribe to listservs where I read posts, and you'd believe the entire island is populated by cut-throats, thieves, ruffians, and carpetbaggers.

I can't go to the island until December, but I'll keep sending whatever financial support I can. I can only imagine how difficult these times are for you, but I’m definitely sending strong energies your way.

~ De
(posted by Sarah, due to technical difficulties)