THE DREAM

KAFE KISKEYA creates a comfortable space for folks from various parts of the city to meet in & share time together. ~ KISKEYA is the Taino Indian word for Mother of the Earth & is what the Island of Hispaniola, including Haiti & Dominican Republic, was called before Columbus arrived over 500 years ago, a time when all of the inhabitants lived in harmony. ~ THE DREAM is for all of humanity to once again live together peacefully on this Earth. By spending time together, we can make that dream a reality!

18 June 2007

Weekend Highlights

Open Mic was a great success this Friday! Oh Blessed Thought, a band consisting of 5 students from Mid American Nazarene College in Olathe, played all of their own original songs. They use a wide range of instruments, even an accordion! And their stage set up includes several pieces of yard art, such as a really cool looking gnome! They are in the process of recording a CD at a studio in Kansas City with 5 songs completed and 5 more in the works. We had about 3 dozen folks in and out through the evening. I'm looking forward to others coming in on this Friday to reveal their talents!

I spent all day Saturday at the West Bottoms Urban Bazaar. What a great venue for what they (Foundation) call an eclectic shopping experience! I met tons of interesting people. And I probably purchased as much as I sold! Oh well. I found earrings, a wine rack and an ankle bracelet that I just couldn't do without. The Bazaar is scheduled for two more weekends this summer, July 20/21 & August 17/18. That's where you'll find me on those two Saturdays.

Saturday night after Kafe Kiskeya closed, I checked out the Downtown Neon Gallery at 1921 Truman Rd. Very cool! I even got to meet Russell Easterwood, recently featured in The Star, a local artist who has his artwork on display there. I just missed The Frontier Brothers. But I did pick up a CD of some of their music entitled Solar Power Struggle.

Sunday was fairly mellow. Several of the regulars stopped in for coffee or tea and conversation. I've finally figured out that I do have A/C and how to operate the controls. No more sweltering summer nights inside the Kafe. Although I prefer to have the door proped open, or better yet, sit outside. I can now offer a cool place to visit, should the weather continue acting as it has this weekend.

No comments: